Press Releases Archive
- May 11, 2017Statement of Sen. Richard Lugar (Ret.) on the Nomination of Ambassador Mark Green as the Next USAID AdministratorMay 11, 2017
- Apr 26, 2017The Lugar Center and Georgetown University’s McCourt School Unveil 2016 Bipartisan Index Rankings for All Members of CongressSen. Collins and Rep. King top Index; Bipartisanship has improvedApr 26, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 01, 2017Apr 01, 2017
- Mar 20, 2017Mar 20, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017Mar 17, 2017
- Dec 06, 2016Dec 06, 2016
- Dec 02, 2016Dec 02, 2016
- Dec 01, 2016Dec 01, 2016
- Nov 10, 2016Former Senator Richard G. Lugar to receive the 2016 J. William Fulbright Prize for International UnderstandingNov 10, 2016
- Oct 21, 2016Oct 21, 2016
- Oct 03, 2016Oct 03, 2016
- Jul 07, 2016Jul 07, 2016
- Jul 06, 2016Statement of Senator Richard G. Lugar (Ret.) on House Passage of Foreign Aid Transparency and Accountability LegislationJul 06, 2016
- Jun 30, 2016Jun 30, 2016
- Jun 29, 2016Statement of Senator Richard G. Lugar (Ret.) on Senate passage of Foreign Aid Transparency and Accountability ActJun 29, 2016
- Jun 27, 2016Statement of Senator Richard G. Lugar (Ret.) on the SEC's release of final Section 1504 Cardin-Lugar rule on extractives industry transparencyJun 27, 2016
- May 06, 2016May 06, 2016
- Apr 22, 2016Apr 22, 2016
- Mar 07, 2016The Lugar Center and Georgetown University’s McCourt School Unveil 2015 Bipartisan Index Rankings for All Members of CongressSen. Collins and Rep. King Top Index; Progress Has Been MadeMar 07, 2016
- Jan 12, 2016Former Sens. Lugar, Daschle, Levin and Lott say current SOTU is too partisanJan 12, 2016
- Dec 15, 2015The Lugar Center and Georgetown University’s McCourt School Unveil New Bipartisan Index Rankings of All U.S. SenatorsChafee, Collins Top Index; Six 2016 Presidential Candidates Ranked Since 1993Dec 15, 2015
- Dec 14, 2015Dec 14, 2015
- Dec 09, 2015Dec 09, 2015
- Dec 01, 2015Statement of Senator Richard G. Lugar (Ret.) on Senate Confirmation of Gayle Smith as Administrator of USAIDDec 01, 2015
- May 19, 2015The Lugar Center and Georgetown University’s McCourt School Unveil New “Bipartisan Index” of 113th CongressRanking of All Members of Congress Shows Degree of Legislative BipartisanshipMay 19, 2015
- Apr 30, 2015Statement of Sen. Richard G. Lugar (Ret.) on the Nomination of Gayle Smith as the Next Administrator of USAIDApr 30, 2015
- Jan 22, 2015The Lugar Center named a "Best New Think Tank" by the University of Pennsylvania's Think Tank & Civil Societies ProgramJan 22, 2015
- Nov 18, 2014Nov 18, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C. – A high-level group of political and military leaders from nuclear weapons states met today to launch the “Military Materials Security Study Group,” an effort to bolster the security of the nuclear materials under the control of militaries worldwide.
- Jun 23, 2014Nunn, Lugar Hail Syrian Chemical Weapons Removal, Call for Continued U.S-Russian Cooperation To Reduce WMD ThreatsJun 23, 2014
The U.S. role in the removal and eventual destruction of Syria’s chemical weapons is being carried out under the umbrella of the Nunn-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction (CTR) Program. Specifically, CTR funds were used to equip the Cape Ray vessel for its chemical weapons destruction mission and to operate the Cape Ray for the duration of the mission.“This was made possible by the 20-year history of cooperation that the program built between the United States and Russia on WMD threat reduction. That cooperation has expanded outside of the former Soviet Union and in Syria, we are acting as partners in removing an imminent threat.
- Apr 28, 2014Apr 28, 2014
Bulgarian Minister of Foreign Affairs Kristian Vigenin will present former Senator Richard Lugar with the Golden Laurel Branch award at a ceremony at the Bulgarian Embassy this evening. The Golden Laurel Branch is the highest honor granted by the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Mar 19, 2014Mar 19, 2014
Former Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Richard G. Lugar commended approval of the United States to begin implementing more rigorous transparency measures as part of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative.
- Mar 11, 2014Mar 11, 2014
Former Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Senator Richard G. Lugar today called for a broad "diplomatic offensive" to counter Russian aggression in Ukraine. "Crisis brings opportunity. The opportunity today is to expand the trans-Atlantic alliance," Lugar said.
- Feb 17, 2014Feb 17, 2014
Lugar Center senior staff recently welcomed Zambian Minister of Agriculture and Livestock Robert Sichinga and Zambia’s Ambassador to the United States Palan Mulonda to The Lugar Center for a discussion of the challenges facing Zambian food security and Zambia’s potential as a food exporter for Southern Africa.
- Feb 03, 2014Feb 03, 2014
Beurt SerVaas was instrumental in the foundation of UNIGOV, but more importantly, his service as President of the City-County Council for 27 years was indispensable in the success of UNIGOV and the outstanding progress of Indianapolis. I admired Beurt SerVaas as a successful business innovator, but I treasured his loyal friendship in politics and governance because he was intelligent, courageous, and always present to serve in good times and bad. My thoughts and prayers are with the SerVaas family at this time of grievous loss.
- Jan 13, 2014Jan 13, 2014
The American Farm Bureau Federation at the Opening Session of its 95th Annual Convention in San Antonio, Texas, attended by 5,000 delegates, awarded its highest recognition honor, the Distinguished Service Award, to former Senator Richard G. Lugar of Indiana. The trophy was presented by President Bob Stallman. The Indiana Farm Bureau nominated Lugar for his lifetime devotion to agriculture, and Don Villwock, President of the Indiana Farm Bureau, was onstage during the presentation.
- Dec 18, 2013The Lugar Center launches joint Bipartisan Nuclear Security Dialogue project with the Arms Control AssociationDec 18, 2013
- Dec 06, 2013Dec 06, 2013
- Nov 14, 2013Nov 14, 2013
The Lugar Center is pleased to announce that a number of distinguished individuals have joined us as Affiliated Experts. These experts in Global Food Security and Aid Effectiveness strengthen The Lugar Center’s platform with their expertise spanning from academia to policy and governance. We welcome them and look forward to productive collaboration as we seek to find solutions to challenges facing the 21st century.
- Oct 07, 2013Oct 07, 2013
Budva, Montenegro – GMF Senior Transatlantic Fellow Senator Richard Lugar embarked on a three day trip to Montenegro last week to advocate for enhanced economic, political, and security relations between the United States and Montenegro
- Aug 08, 2013The White HouseAug 08, 2013
WASHINGTON – Today, President Barack Obama named sixteen recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the Nation’s highest civilian honor, presented to individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors. The awards will be presented at the White House later this year.
- Jun 03, 2013Jun 03, 2013
John Walls was a major contributor to the dynamic 20th Century growth of Indianapolis.
- May 29, 2013May 29, 2013
Following are remarks by former U.S. Sen. Dick Lugar to the U.S.-Azerbaijan Convention, May 29, in Baku, Azerbaijan. Lugar has been one of the top U.S. envoys to the region dealing with nonproliferation and energy issues.
- May 06, 2013May 06, 2013
Federal Republic of Germany President Joachim Gauck has decided to bestow on retired U.S. Sen. Richard G. Lugar the Grand Cross of the Order of Merit. The presentation will be made by German Ambassador to the U.S. Dr. Peter Ammon in Washington, DC on Wednesday evening, May 8
- May 02, 2013May 02, 2013
Two former U.S. senators and an esteemed sociologist are recipients of the 2013 Richard E. Neustadt and Thomas C. Schelling Awards. The awards will be presented May 2 during a ceremony in Cambridge hosted by Harvard Kennedy School (HKS) Dean David T. Ellwood.
- Apr 24, 2013Apr 24, 2013
Former U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar, the longest-serving senator in Indiana's history, has been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, one of the nation's most prestigious honorary societies.
- Apr 16, 2013Apr 16, 2013
Her Majesty The Queen of England has bestowed upon retired U.S. Sen. Richard G. Lugar the rank of honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE).
- Jan 31, 2013Jan 31, 2013
Senator Lugar was recently appointed Counselor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
- Jan 29, 2013Jan 29, 2013
Indiana University President Michael A. McRobbie announced Jan. 24, 2013 that former U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar and former U.S. Rep. Lee Hamilton will join the faculty of IU's School of Global and International Studies .
- Dec 21, 2012Dec 21, 2012
Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IND.), the U.S. Senate’s most senior Republican, will join the Georgetown Public Policy Institute this spring as a visiting distinguished professor of public policy.