Get updates by email
- Oil Bailout? Not without transparency.
- Biden and Sanders — Comparing their Bipartisan Index Scores
- Good news! Cardin-Lugar compliance is really cheap!
- Air Force’s RAND: Extend New START
- GOP Witness: New START’s Guardians Against Russian Cheating are “Best in the World.”
- SEC Whiffs on Extractives Corruption, but Still Has a Chance to Score
- How President Trump Could Really Fight Corruption
- A Big Surge in GOP Senate Bipartisanship: A Trump Effect?
- Global Corruption is a Threat to U.S. National Security
- Celebrating a Renewed Commitment to U.S. Leadership in Global Food Security
Archived Blog Posts
Showing 6 posts from 2020.
The government is reportedly considering a multi-billion dollar bailout for the oil fracking industry, which has experienced losses because of the COVID-19 economic crisis and the plunge in oil prices. The sector exposed itself to these risks through reckless expansion, financed by mountains of risky debt and exacerbated by its failure to set aside “rainy day” funds in a market where prices are notoriously volatile.... Read More
The two remaining major contenders for the Democratic presidential nomination both have an extensive record on the Lugar Center’s Bipartisan Index. Joe Biden was scored as a Senator for eight full congresses (103rd — 110th). Bernie Sanders has been scored as a Senator for six full Congresses (110th — 115th).... Read More
Good news for the American oil companies! Complying with the global anti-corruption reporting standard will cost them only a few pennies, relatively speaking. That means the Securities and Exchange Commission can go ahead and issue a strong final regulation on revenue transparency, instead of the weak one they proposed in December, and the oil companies won’t have anything to worry about.... Read More
An important Pentagon-backed think-tank has come out with a strong recommendation to extend the New START nuclear weapons treaty with Russia. In a 29-page report entitled, “The Military Case for Extending the New START Agreement,” retired Air Force General Frank Klotz, writes:... Read More
As policymakers debate extending the New START arms control treaty with Russia, one of the treaty’s key virtues has been largely overlooked--the crack team of Pentagon experts that carries out the treaty’s inspections and verification of Russian compliance. “The treaty and technical weapons experts at DTRA [the Defense Threat Reduction Agency] are the best in the world.”... Read More
On the same day the House Democrats impeached President Trump amid doubts about his true concern over corruption in Ukraine, the Securities and Exchange Commission had a chance to reassert American leadership in the broader fight against global bribery and fraud.
Unfortunately, the SEC whiffed.... Read More